"I am moving to New York City: Excited and scared, scared and excited."

Salt Lake City, Utah
January 3, 2012

"The wow-view"
I live on a hill.

There are good things about living on a hill… for starters, the view. Everyday going to work, I can see the vastness of the valley contrasting with the majestic mountains. It’s breathtaking.


Every day I would look at the view and every day I would say to myself, “Wow.” You might think that it would get old, but it really doesn't.

I live two blocks from my work, so it’s so nice to be able to walk to work every morning. It’s nice… oh so very nice, to be able to walk anywhere I need to. I love that

(This picture was taken by photographer David Price for his work "Late Night")

Walking up hill, when coming back home, was a little tiresome, but after a while I got used to it. In fact, every time… (Every time? Yes, “every time”) when I get to my apartment I turn around and I look the sun setting behind the temple… so beautiful.


Downtown
Downtown public transportation is free (Bus, Train, anything). At night, the lighting of the temple is beautiful too.

At downtown one can get Chinese food 24/6 at walking distance. (24/6 because in downtown as the rest of Utah, most stores are closed on Sundays)

I heart downtown because it's “downtown.” It feels as 'a downtown' from a big city, but it also has the charm of a small town. 



"The morning bells"
I live right behind a Cathedral. From the living room window of my apartment I can see the back of The Cathedral of the Madeleine… On Christmas Eve I decided last minute I wanted to go to Midnight mass, so I just crossed the street and there I was.



Every morning the bells of the cathedral make their sound celebrating the born of the Holly Child.
Dang, dang, dong, dang— Every morning, the avenues of Salt Lake City echoes the loud sound of the many bells of that grand Catholic cathedral… Every morning… Dooong, daaang, dooong, daaaang.

Every morning the bells of the cathedral make their sound celebrating the born of the Holly Child and yet it makes me want to hurt somebody.

But I got used to it.

"Home (...away from home)"
People in Utah say "Hi!" when you walk by, and they are usually respectful and nice.

I like Utah because I consider it ‘home away from home.’ I have my “adopted” family here, people that I love. My friends, my church, a culture that I learned to consider my own.




I Love Utah, period. The mountains, the smelly Great Salt Lake, the trees, the desert (I love the desert) The salt flats, the small town in the south east, the red lands of St George, the Arches, the Canyons, the skiing. The Real Salt Lake!



I love Utah! Though, I think I Love Bountiful City the most. Bountiful is beautiful. The view of the city from the freeway is incredible. The 4 four hours ride from BYU-Idaho to Bountiful was always torturous, but the faraway site of the Bountiful Temple would always announce that indeed I was almost “home.”




"Might"
I once left home… (Like home, home) and on my taxi ride to the airport I had a similar feeling as I feeling now. Every building there had a meaning to me. I wasn’t ready to say goodbye, so I said “Hasta luego.”

Now it’s time to leave Utah, but I am not ready to say Goodbye to Salt Lake City… (And it might not be a goodbye at all, really) but it’s the uncertainty of “might” what makes me enjoy every moment and every person, fully, because it “might” be the last time. I just got used to everything here, I feel so comfortable here!





It sounds like I’m dying, but I am not. I’m fine, I’m just moving out.

I am moving out! Such a mix of feelings! Excited and scared, scared and excited. I am moving to New York City.

Popular Posts